Paul Michael McDermott

Paul Michael McDermott

McDermott Law Offices, PLLC, a Florida Marital and Family Law Firm
  • Divorce, Family Law
  • Florida, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Paul M. McDermott, Esq., practices exclusively in the area of Marital and Family Law. He has experience in litigation, mediation, and collaboration. After practicing law in Virginia for many years as a trial lawyer, he relocated to Florida and founded McDermott Law Offices, PLLC and now practices exclusively in the 12th Judicial Circuit of Florida, which includes Manatee County and Sarasota County.

Mr. McDermott is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Law Mediator. He is also trained in Collaborative Divorce Law, an emerging field within the Alternative Dispute Resolution realm focused on resolving cases with a "team" approach where the parties and their attorneys employ professionals as needed from varying disciplines (e.g., CPA, Financial Planner, Mental Health, etc...) who collaborate with a Facilitator (often times a mediator) and attempt to resolve a family law case in a more transparent, respectful and cost-effective manner, unlike the traditional litigation model. To read more about this approach, visit:

Mr. McDermott is dedicated to advocating your cause to the fullest extent of the law. Attorney Paul McDermott has personally represented more than 1,500 clients and is ready to put his experience to work for you. To discuss the best strategy for your case, call today for a consultation at (941) 225-2550.

Regent University School of Law
J.D. | Law
Regent University School of Law Logo
University of Wisconsin - Madison
B.A. | History and Sociology- Double Major
University of Wisconsin - Madison Logo
Professional Experience
McDermott Law Offices, PLLC (FL)
- Current
Florida Marital and Family Law (Lakewood Ranch, FL)
Managing Partner
Beaulieu Law Group, P.A. (FL)
Palm Beach County, FL
Paul M. McDermott, P.C. (VA)
Associate Attorney
Gross & Robinson, PC (VA)
Marital and Family Law, Criminal Law (Prince William County, VA)
Speaking Engagements
Overview of Florida Divorce Law, Chamber of Commerce, Delray Beach, FL
Chamber Of Commerce
Presentation on overview of Florida Marital and Family Law;
Guardian ad litem
Supreme Court of Virginia
Family Law Mediator
Supreme Court of Florida
Professional Associations
Sarasota County Bar Association Family Law Section
- Current
Activities: Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
12th Circuit Family Court Professionals Collaborative
Board Member
- Current
Activities: Board Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Manatee County Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Next Generation Divorce
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Florida State Bar Family Law Section
- Current
Activities: Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    MasterCard, Visa, Discover, Debit Cards
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    $150.00 consultation fee (consult fee is applied toward retainer amount if you retain our firm);
Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. On a quit claim deed in a divorce , what is "legal description of property" ? What are they asking for ?
A: The legal description of the property is the technical description (not just the street address) of the parcel. It is usually contained on the previous/current deed, but you should verify it with the Property Appraiser's website or Clerk of Court depending in the county where the property is located. If you have the incorrect property address then you will have title issues later.
Q. How long before a husband with a substantial involuntary income decrease can take ex wife back to court
A: No specific time requirement. Just need to file based on substantial, unanticipated, and permanent change in circumstances. Sounds like you have grounds to file a petition.
Q. If my husband files for divorce can I request counseling
A: Counseling by the parties would be on a voluntary basis only. The Court won't order him to counseling.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Florida Family Law Attorney
Contact & Map
6151 Lake Osprey Drive Suite 300
Sarasota, FL 34240
Telephone: (941) 225-2550