Free Consultation: (248) 496-6970Tap to Call This Lawyer
Steven G Cozart

Steven G Cozart

Chart a course to protect the people you love, and . Call for free consultation.
  • Estate Planning
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Many individuals hesitate to create an estate plan, as they believe it isn’t necessary until they grow older. This, however, isn’t true; anyone over 18 should have an estate plan in place, just in case something happens to them. Conversations around estate planning can be emotionally difficult, but are no less necessary. That’s why I’ve committed myself to help families and individuals create solid estate plans that will help preserve their assets and protect those they love. My goal is to provide you with a comprehensive, affordable estate planning service that’s presented in an easy-to-understand fashion. I am a compassionate lawyer, and will use my 25 years of professional experience to guide you throughout the estate planning process.


President of Hospice Homes of Genesee & Lapeer County
Hospice Volunteer of Oakland County
Over a Decade as an Adult Literacy Teacher
Past President of D. Augustus Straker Bar Association
Member of Animal Law Section of MI State Bar

Wayne State University Law School
Wayne State University Law School Logo
Michigan State University
Michigan State University Logo
Professional Experience
Cozart Law Office
Professional Associations
State Bar of Michigan  # P49795
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Michigan
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    Up to 45 minutes. Most of our work is done at a flat rate (that is, usually we do not charge by the hour.)
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Payment plans available
Practice Area
Estate Planning
Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Additional Practice Areas
  • Asset Protection
  • Power of Attorney
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. I am in Michigan. Can my father name me as his successor trustee and sole beneficiary?
A: Yes, your father can disinherit your siblings. Be advised that your siblings may contest this in Probate Court by claiming that he was unduly influenced to do so, or that he was not of sound mind when he made that decision. These types of probate challenges can be expensive and emotionally damaging to your family members. Your father should consult with a qualified estate planning attorney.

Another potential problem, if your father names you as the only successor trustee, what happens if you become, disabled, incapacitated or you die before your father? Please schedule a consultation with an attorney for your father to learn about his options.
A: First, congratulations that you have taken the time and made the investment to create a trust! The vast majority of Americans do not have any estate planning documents in place.

Assets that are jointly held, like your bank account and real estate, do NOT need to "go through" the trust if you die before the joint owner. I cannot determine from your question if you have a joint trust and the co-owner of your assets is the co-trustee? If that is the case, make sure that your assets are "funded into the trust." The trust will specify who receives those assets after the second death.

Please also review your beneficiary designation for assets solely held in your name, like IRAs and 401K plans. You may have a beneficiary listed and the trust can be named as a contingent beneficiary, just in case your primary beneficiary is deceased.

Finally, a trust represents a snapshot in time. Periodically review your documents with your attorney to make sure it still represents your estate planning goals. Many attorneys may charge for this type of review, but the small investment is well worth it.
... Read More
Q. What should I expect to pay to have our son appointed durable power of attorney?
A: My answer is a phrase that is near and dear to the hearts of many attorneys. "it depends." Many factors can go into the creation of legal documents:

How customized do you want the power of attorney (POA) documents to be?

Do you want the POA documents to control financial matters, healthcare decisions (Patient Advocate Designation), or both?

Do you have any other legal documents, like a living trust, that may need to operate in conjunction with the power of attorney documents?

How "hands-on" do you want to be in the creation of the POA documents? What I mean by that is there are some pretty good form documents available if you know where to look. Having said that, in my totally biased opinion, it is always best to consult with an experienced attorney.

I know that you were looking for a price. It is very difficult to give you a specific number. Attorney fees can vary greatly. I suggest making some calls and seeing who you think can best meet your needs. I believe that you will be able to find a knowledgeable and experienced attorney who can work within your budget.
... Read More
View More Answers
Social Media
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
Cozart Law Office, PLLC
200 East Big Beaver Road
Troy, MI 48083
Telephone: (248) 496-6970