Free Consultation: (334) 440-6261Tap to Call This Lawyer
Susan Michele Schaefer

Susan Michele Schaefer

Cardea Disability, LLC
  • Social Security Disability, Gov & Administrative Law, Bankruptcy ...
  • Indiana
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Michele Schaefer has over 30 years of professional experience. She began her career as a trial attorney before establishing a decades-long career at the Social Security Administration (SSA).

She has a wealth of knowledge about disability from extensive field experience at the Disability Determination Services, and at the Office of Hearings Operations as a Hearing Office Director, Supervisory Attorney, and Senior Attorney.

She also has a unique perspective due to her work experience at SSA National Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland where she served as a Deputy Director, Branch Chief, and Technical Expert. She developed medical and vocational policy rules and regulations.

Valparaiso University School of Law
J.D. (1988) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Indiana University - Indiana University-Bloomington
B.A. (1984) | English
Indiana University - Indiana University-Bloomington Logo
Professional Experience
Cardea Disability, LLC
- Current
We will advocate on your behalf to prove your disability. We know how the system works and can cut through complicated bureaucratic procedures to get your case approved at the earliest level of the administrative process. Cardea Disability LLC advocates will make a comprehensive presentation of your case to agency adjudicators using disability policy terms and rules. Our approach is a proven way for you to be approved and gain access to disability benefits.
Deputy Director, Branch Chief
Social Security Administration
Provided disability policy advice to SSA executives. Also led research and drafting of regulations, rulings and policy guidance.
Hearing Office Director, Supervisory Attorney
Social Security Administration
Supervised attorneys and paralegals in Social Security hearing offices.
Trial Attorney
Emerick and Diggins, PC
Trial attorney in a general practice law firm.
Speaking Engagements
Evaluation of Symptoms in Disability Claims, Social Security Ruling 16-3p , Chronic Fatgue Advisory Committee , Washington, D.C.
Health and Human Services
Drug Addiction and Alcoholism (DAA) and Disability , National Association of Disability Representatives Conference , Washington, D.C.
National Association of Disability Representatives
Accredited Attorney
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Commissioner’s Award for Outstanding Performance in Medical Policy
Social Security Administration
Professional Associations
Indiana State Bar  # 14112-64
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Indiana Supreme Court
ID Number: 14112-64
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Practice Areas
  • Social Security Disability
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Bankruptcy
  • Foreclosure Defense
Additional Practice Area
  • Veterans Administration Disability Law
  • English: Spoken, Written
Websites & Blogs
Cardea Disability, LLC website
Cardea Disability, LLC
Contact & Map
Cardea Disability, LLC
P.O. Box 681586
Prattville, AL 36068
Telephone: (334) 440-6261
Monday: 9 AM - 4:30 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 4:30 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 4:30 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 4:30 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 4:30 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed (Today)