Free Consultation: (888) 920-7215Tap to Call This Lawyer
Agustin  Arbulu

Agustin Arbulu

  • Tax Law
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Tax professional with over 30 plus years of experience working with the IRS and various state tax agencies across the country.

Agustin holds an LLM (in Taxation) from NYU Law School and a JD from University of Detroit Mercy School of Law. In addition, Agustin holds a DBA from Case Western Reserve University and two MBAs.

Agustin has taught tax law (individual, partnership, and corporate) at law school as well as taught MBA courses at various graduate schools across the country. In addition, he was served as speaker at conferences presenting on various current tax issues.

New York University School of Law
LL.M. | Taxation
New York University School of Law Logo
Case Western Reserve University
DBA - Doctorate of Business Administration | Management, Leadership and Strategy
Case Western Reserve University Logo
University of Detroit Mercy
J.D. | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Michigan State University
Michigan State University Logo
Professional Experience
Attorney / President / CEO
The W Tax Group
Articles & Publications
Federal Tax Articles Income, Estate, Gift, Excise, Employment Taxes
Commerce Clearing House, Incorporated
Speaking Engagements
Opening Remarks for Conference, Environmental Justice in Practice Conference, Detroit
Wayne State Law School
Better Business Bureau
Accredited Since: 12/16/2016
AV Preeminent
Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Services
Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
Professional Associations
Michigan State Bar  # P24036
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Michigan
ID Number: P24036
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
Practice Area
    Tax Law
    Business Taxes, Criminal Tax Litigation, Estate Tax Planning, Income Taxes, International Taxes, Payroll Taxes, Property Taxes, Sales Taxes, Tax Appeals, Tax Audits, Tax Planning
  • English
  • Spanish
Legal Answers
Q. How do I sell a 0.26 acre lot left behind in Pueblo County, CO after my parents’ passing?
A: This is an important question posed. As I understand it your parents left you and your sister a piece of property. I am assuming the property was to be owned jointly with your 2 sisters. Further I am assuming the property is in your name for convenient purposes (like to avoid probate). If that is the case, I recommend you quit claim the property from you to your 2 sisters and yourself making sure that you indicate as follows: "X quit claims her interest in the property to X, Y, and X as tenants in common." With tenancy in common each person has a distinct interest in the property, which means one person can sell her interest w/o approval from the other tenants in common. Another approach is to quit claim the property from you to your 2 sisters and yourself as joint tenants. This would read as follows: "X quit claims her interest in the property to X, Y, and X as joint tenants." A joint tenancy means each person holds an indivisable interest in the property and thus rights of survivorship. As joint tenants each person can not sell her interest. Now on the sale of the property each of you would be required to sign off on the deed transferring the property to the new buyer. Further each sister would be liable for their share of the tax liability arising from the gain and not the entire amount of the tax liability. However, make sure that the SSN (social security number) of each sister is provided at closing so that any 1099 form issued is sent to each sister proportionate to her interest (1/3) in the property sold. This form is usually issued by the buyer at the end of the year but not always. ... Read More
Q. Can my fiance claim me on taxes?
A: This is very interest question and suggests that your fiance wants Head of Household (HOH) status to take advantage of the lower tax rate and higher standard deduction. To qualify for HOH your fiance must:

1. Pay for more than half of your household expenses (such as groceries, rent, mortgage payments, utilities, etc.)

2. Be considered unmarried for the tax year, and

3. You must be a qualifying dependent.

Assuming you meet the first 2 requirements you will probably fail the 3rd requirement, being a qualifying dependent. A qualifying dependent can be a step sibling, nephew, aunt, niece, which I suspect you are not.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
The W Tax Group
The W Tax Group Blog
Contact & Map
The W Tax Group
300 Galleria Officenter
Suite 402
Southfield, MI 48034
Toll-Free: (888) 920-7215
Monday: 8 AM - 6 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 6 PM (Today)
Wednesday: 8 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 6 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed