Free Consultation: (470) 799-5992Tap to Call This Lawyer
Alake Colwell Furlow

Alake Colwell Furlow

  • Family Law, Divorce, Juvenile Law
  • Georgia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Family law attorney handling cases involving child support, child custody, legitimation, guardianship, divorce, visitation, child abandonment, modifications & all other domestic cases. Licensed to practice law since 2011 having handled cases in counties such as Cobb, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Fayette, Fulton, Henry, Rockdale, Cherokee, Clayton, Douglas, Barrow, Clarke, Carroll, Forsyth, Hall, Lumpkin, Netwon, Habersham, Paulding, Putnam, & Walton county. Offering reasonable fees, lower than most of my colleagues, which may include payment plans.

Professional Associations
State Bar of Georgia
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Georgia
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    Offering a free 15-minute telephone consultation and a reasonable retainer with some payment options available.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Credit cards accepted but may be subject to vendor and credit card fees.
Practice Areas
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Juvenile Law
Legal Answers
Q. a child's custodial mother dies and the father of the child hasn't legitimized the child does he have custodial rights?
A: The father should hire an attorney and file an action to legitimize. In that action he should seek sole legal and physical custody of the child. Since he has been paying support and can show he’s been an active participant in the child’s life, it should not be an issue for the court to recognize him as the legal father. They might award the grandmother some visitation if she petitions the court. However, grandparents rights have limits. Seek a consultation with an attorney ASAP.
Q. Should I keep let my child’s father see him although we have pending custody case?
A: The first thing you should do is hire an attorney. And I'm not sure what you mean by fight for protection. If there is domestic violence and an ongoing threat, you should seek a protective order, which is a separate case altogether. If you were served with paperwork for a pending case, and if you are not willing to hire an attorney, you should make sure to timely file an Answer to his petition, letting the court know if you agree or disagree with the statements made under oath, by the Plaintiff. And I will tell you this, if he is asking for joint custody and he is violent, you may be at a disadvantage handling this case yourself, especially if he has an attorney. Because once a final order is entered, it is just that, final. And if the court gives him joint custody, sole custody, or some kind of visitation, you will not be able to change it.
Q. How do I try to find a lawyer who might take my case pro bono? Should I just call Family law attorneys and ask?
A: There are income guidelines for legal aide services and sometimes a waiting list to accept cases. If you can't get a legal aide service to take your case you should contact some domestic attorneys and see if they will work with you and accept payments. Sometimes if you can get a lump sum together for a retainer that you can afford, some attorneys will allow payments as long as you make those payments on time. Try and see what you can work out before assuming you can't afford a lawyer. But I would urge you to hire someone as soon as possible because there are deadlines within cases for when things need to be done and you want your attorney to have time to work on your case before it's scheduled for trial.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
The Colwell Law Firm, LLC
P. O. Box 1741
Dacula, GA 30019
Telephone: (470) 799-5992