Free Consultation: (360) 657-3886Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Jahnis John Abelite

  • DUI & DWI, Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law ...
  • Washington
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Seattle University School of Law
J.D. (1975)
Seattle University School of Law Logo
Professional Associations
Washington State Bar  # 11644
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Washington State Bar Association
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept MasterCard, VISA, Discover and American Express as well as Debit cards with either a MasterCard or VISA logo on them.
Practice Areas
    DUI & DWI
    Traffic Tickets
    Suspended License
    Criminal Law
    Expungement, Gun Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Estate Planning
    Health Care Directives, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Latvian: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. Is it worth hiring a traffic lawyer for a moving violation in a rental car?
A: That depends. That the rental car company insurance will pay for the damage is not the point. You received the ticket because of your driving and the vehicle damage issue is not relevant. If you decide to defend the ticket yourself and you lose because the court rules against you, it will go on your driving and insurance records and could very likely affect your insurance record and may cause an increase in your insurance rates. You should contact an experienced traffic ticket defense lawyer so that you have the ability to minimize any impact on your license and insurance. Good Luck!
Q. For a traffic ticket received in Snohomish County by a WA State Trooper, who is the Plaintiff and who is the prosecutor?
A: Unless you are issued a traffic infraction or citation by a city policeman or a federal officer, e.g., national park ranger, the plaintiff is the State of Washington and not the county. You must respond within 15 days of the date you received the infraction or traffic ticket. You address your request for discovery to the court clerk and send a copy to the prosecutor's office (you will not be told his or her specific name) with proof of delivery, e.g., first class certified mail or priority mail with return receipt. Good Luck!
Q. What will my consequences be when my court date comes around?
A: It depends. If the officer did not have you do any field sobriety tests and he did not get a warrant for a blood draw, then there shouldn't be any basis for a DUI charge to be filed against you. It appears that he could issue a traffic infraction for expired tabs which is not a criminal traffic violation but a non-moving traffic violation. However, as you are under 21, you could be charged with possession of marijuana which is a criminal offense that is a misdemeanor with a penalty of up to 90 days in jail and/or a $1,000.00 fine. Get a lawyer immediately and schedule a consultation. Good Luck!
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
16710 Smokey Point Blvd, Suite 200
Arlington, WA 98223
Telephone: (360) 657-3886
Fax: (360) 657-3719