For over 35 years, Jim Peterson has focused his practice on all aspects of family law, including divorce, child custody, support modifications, as well as prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. Jim's prior work experience includes working for a large firm handling complicated corporate litigation. This provided him with the invaluable experience, knowledge and skill necessary to handle complex divorce cases involving significant assets and family businesses.
Additionally, Jim has substantial trial experience (both jury and non-jury) and has argued numerous landmark cases before the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Georgia Supreme Court. Jim's clients often come as referrals from other attorneys and former clients who know and respect his professional reputation.
Jim has been named to Atlanta Magazine's prestigious Super Lawyers list, consistently being recognized as one of the top 5% of divorce attorneys in Georgia. He has also been named as a member of the "Georgia Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine every year since 2008.
Jim is a cyclist, runner and triathlete. His accomplishments include competing in numerous marathons, century bike races, 4 Ironman Triathlons, and 3 Half-Ironman Triathlons.
- Mississippi College School of Law
- J.D. (1984)
- Activities: Mississippi College Law Review (1982-1984)
- Appalachian State University
- B.A. (1980)
- The Peterson Firm
- - Current
- How to try a Divorce case, Masters in Trial, Atlanta, Georgia
- Valuing and Dividing Business Assets, Complex Assets in Divorce, Atlanta, Georgia
- National Business Institute
- Top Attorneys in Georgia
- Super Lawyers Magazine
- 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Georgia Legal Elite
- Georgia Trend Magazine
- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Client Choice Award
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Activities: Family Law Section
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Old War Horse Club
- State Bar of Georgia
- - Current
- Activities: Family Law Section (admitted 1984), Services Committee (1985-1994)
- Family Law