Phelps Law Firm's founding member is Tom Phelps. A native of Birmingham, Tom attended Pelham High School where he graduated as Salutatorian in 1998. Tom then attended the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, where he graduated Cum laude, with Honors, in 2003. He received numerous awards and served as President of Delta Chi Fraternity.
Tom majored in Journalism, with minors in Economics and General Business Administration. Tom worked as the Senior Sports Reporter for the University's newspaper, The Crimson White. In that capacity, Tom served as the lead football beat writer for two seasons.
Tom always aspired to practice law, and he pursued that goal by continuing his education at Samford University's Cumberland School of Law in Birmingham in 2003. Tom achieved the Dean's List each semester and received the high honor of being selected to serve on the Cumberland Law Review. Tom was admitted practice law in Alabama in 2006.
Tom practiced with the Birmingham firm, Bradford & Sears, P.C., from 2006 to 2010, representing clients throughout Alabama in matters involving insurance, bad faith, automobile and trucking accidents, construction, contract disputes, premises liability, and intellectual property.
In 2010, Tom focused his practice on North Alabama when he moved to the Huntsville office of the prominent Birmingham litigation firm, Gaines, Gault & Hendrix, P.C. Tom's practice concentrated on the defense of insurers and individuals in personal injury matters, including numerous cases tried to favorable jury verdicts throughout North Alabama.
In 2015, Tom sought to expand his practice with the inception of Phelps Law Firm. He sought to capitalize on his extensive litigation experience while expanding the practice to better meet the needs of clients in North Alabama. Phelps Law Firm is a boutique firm which combines the vigorous approach to litigation found in larger firms with the client-centered feel of a family law firm.
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
- J.D. (2006) | Law
- Honors: • Class Rank in Top One-Third of Graduating Class • Member - Cumberland Law Review • Dean’s List (all semesters) • Quarterfinalist – Parham Williams Trial Competition
- Activities: • Peterson Trial Competition • Completed Clerkships at Starnes & Atchison, Hand Arendall, and Carr Allison, including matters related to labor and employment, worker’s compensation, business litigation, contractual negotiation, general litigation, and procurement fraud and Qui tam actions.
- University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa
- B.A. (2003) | Communication, with Major in Journalism and Minors in Economics and General Business Administration
- Honors: • Cum laude • University Honors Program • Dean’s List (All Semesters) • President, Delta Chi Fraternity • Outstanding Undergraduate in Finance Award • Outstanding Junior in Finance Award • Kappa Tau Alpha, Beta Gamma Sigma and Alpha Lambda Delta Honoraria • Greg Hammett Most Improved Sportswriter Award, The Crimson White
- Activities: • Delta Chi Fraternity • Senior Sports Reporter, The Crimson White, 1998-2002 • Contributing Writer, datelinealabama.com • Correspondent, sportsuniversity.com
- Career Summary
- - Current
- • Over 11 years’ experience achieving excellent results for individual and corporate clients. • Excellent record of success as counsel on approximately 30 cases tried to jury verdicts in Alabama. • Demonstrated pattern of positive results for clients, including: State Farm, MetLife, Farmers, Geico, Penn National, Harleysville, Progressive, GMAC, USAgencies, Access General, Publix, and others. • Highly skilled at resolving tort and contract matters through trial and alternative dispute resolution.
- Phelps Law Firm, LLC
- • Lead counsel in matters pending in Alabama courts, with emphasis on business and injury defense. • Provide comprehensive evaluation of legal issues, including analysis of applicable law, assessment of risks and potential liability and damages, and election to pursue trial or settlement. • Perform strategic analysis of matters, including budgeting, assessment of potential exposure and mitigation of risk, and negotiation of contractual terms to ensure favorable outcomes.
- Gaines, Gault & Hendrix, P.C.
- • Highly successful practice handling litigation of matters involving personal injury, worker’s compensation, employment, transportation, insurance and bad faith. • Obtained excellent trial results, including numerous defense verdicts returned in favor of individuals and corporations in significant injury, contract and insurance cases. • Fully integrated litigation processes with clients’ business practices, including application of staffing plans, reporting guidelines and billing functions. • Managed daily operations of Huntsville office of large law firm, including oversight of associate attorneys, paralegals, legal assistants and support staff. • Solved complex factual and legal problems requiring extensive research, analysis, and evaluation of expert opinions in scientific, engineering, economic and financial areas. • Demonstrated ability to quickly master complex material in fast-paced, competitive environment.
- Bradford& Sears, P.C.
- • Developed breadth of experience handling matters involving personal injury, transportation, insurance, contracts, compliance, employment, worker’s compensation and intellectual property. • Entrusted with responsibility for managing all stages of litigation, including discovery, depositions, expert preparation, trial and appellate review. • Applied efficient litigation plans in each matter to ensure favorable outcome while also meeting client's economic expectations.
- Alabama State Bar
- Free Consultation
- Contingent Fees
- Personal Injury
- Insurance Defense
- Insurance Claims
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Construction Law
- Business Law
- Workers' Compensation
- Phelps Law Firm